Ian went swimming for the first time last weekend. He seemed to really be enjoying himself. (These pictures were taken before he really got into it.)
We spent the afternoon with friends from our Wymount ward. I visit taught our host (who moved to the Houston area about 6 months before us) and my visiting teachers from Wymount were there too... both of their families moved to the Houston area a year before us. (The visiting teaching program sure is inspired -- because of it, I had three friends in Houston before we even arrived!)
Has anyone else heard that sunscreen rule? What harm could suncreen do?
6 comments:
I put sunscreen on my babies before they were six months old, but they were never in the sun that much. It didn't seem to hurt them.
Someone gave us baby sunscreen so we use that since we have it. But out of curiosity I just looked in my book, "What to Expect the First Year" and it says '...use a small amount of baby safe sunscreen on baby's face, hands and body (now recommended even on babies under six months).' Then later in the book it pretty much says baby safe means an SPF of 15 or higher and if they get a rash or some kind of skin reaction to it, use a different kind.
the pharmacist that I talked to said that there are two main issues. One, the chemicals in the sunscreen (even the baby sunscreen) are not very gentle on new skin (or my girls skin for that matter) and Two, the sunscreen prevents the skin from producing vital vitamin D. So . . . If your sweet little baby is going to be in the sun for long enough for a problem it is worth the minimal risk to use sunscreen like everyone said. But, the pharmacist recommended trying to use it as little as possible i.e. covering up and hats.
We were always just really careful with ours!! It can cause some problems, so we just used to cover up, etc. They really didn't become much water babies until after 12months though, lol.
My doc says sunscreen is better than the damage the sun can do. Just make sure it is PABA free.
I have no sunscreen comments, but your hair looks really cute in these pictures :)
Post a Comment