After my mom left the boys and I all took a few days to mourn. For Ian, this manifested itself in his unwillingness to nap. He would cry for an entire two hours at each nap time and not sleep at all. This from a kid who has happily laid down for his regularly scheduled naptimes every day for the last 2 years. It was bizarre. And so frustrating.
And during his two hours of crying he would soak his shirt with tears, and chew on his binkie. And on day two of this, he chewed the tip right off. When I went to get him up, he explained to me that "Ian sad because" his binkie had "Bonked" and had "Broken. Down."
For the last year Ian has insisted on one particular binkie, and accepted no substitutes. Even the right brand and nipple type in new patterns and colors made the binkie invalid. And since MAM apparently discontinued The Binkie we were left with no other option. 'Try the Internet,' you say. 'The Internet has everything.' Alas, even the Internet failed us this time. And fearing that the day would come that we would be without any more binkies, I have for months stopped the mother of every child I have seen with this binkie, and after following every lead, I have come up empty handed.
And so when I saw that The Last Binkie on Earth had a hole in it, I know we were in for some wailing and gnashing of teeth. Since Ian had bit the hole himself, he didn't question it or show any resentment -- he just accepted that his binkie no longer did what it used to do. Seeing this, I decided to allow Ian to decide if he wanted to keep it around or not. So that night I clipped his "broken down" binkie to his shirt as always, and watched as Ian pitifully held the binkie to his mouth as he tried to fall asleep.
We've taken the "broken down" binkie to the zoo, the doctors office, to playgroup, each time with it clipped to his shirt as usual, but lacking all the usual comfort it once provided. He still asks for it at nap time.
Don't get the impression that this was an easy transition -- Ian continued to cry for two hours during each naptime and for more than an hour at bedtime. And he would wake several times a night crying when he couldn't reinsert his binkie and fall back to sleep. He simply couldn't do it without the binkie. If I could have gotten a hold of a new binkie I would have thankfully abandoned our Bye Bye Binkie plan. We even took a trip to the store in hopes of persuading Ian to accept one of the new binkies MAM created. No go.
And the worst part of it all was that Joseph began sleeping through the night the EXACT day that Ian stopped. I cannot describe my dissapointment and desperation at this occurance. Now while Joseph slept peacefully, I listened to Ian scream and pulled my hair out.
On day 8 Ian finally fell asleep at naptime. After silently rejoicing, I spend my few moments of calm and quietude cleaning up around the house. And during this effort I emptied a diaper bag and found The True Last Binkie on Earth -- we had one more the whole time. Had this binkie turned up a day sooner, there would be no post about all of this -- I would have certainly given him the binkie and postponed this fight for another day. But since he was then taking his very first nap, I place the binkie on a high shelf and knew that Ian's days with a binkie were officially over.
And during his two hours of crying he would soak his shirt with tears, and chew on his binkie. And on day two of this, he chewed the tip right off. When I went to get him up, he explained to me that "Ian sad because" his binkie had "Bonked" and had "Broken. Down."
For the last year Ian has insisted on one particular binkie, and accepted no substitutes. Even the right brand and nipple type in new patterns and colors made the binkie invalid. And since MAM apparently discontinued The Binkie we were left with no other option. 'Try the Internet,' you say. 'The Internet has everything.' Alas, even the Internet failed us this time. And fearing that the day would come that we would be without any more binkies, I have for months stopped the mother of every child I have seen with this binkie, and after following every lead, I have come up empty handed.
And so when I saw that The Last Binkie on Earth had a hole in it, I know we were in for some wailing and gnashing of teeth. Since Ian had bit the hole himself, he didn't question it or show any resentment -- he just accepted that his binkie no longer did what it used to do. Seeing this, I decided to allow Ian to decide if he wanted to keep it around or not. So that night I clipped his "broken down" binkie to his shirt as always, and watched as Ian pitifully held the binkie to his mouth as he tried to fall asleep.
We've taken the "broken down" binkie to the zoo, the doctors office, to playgroup, each time with it clipped to his shirt as usual, but lacking all the usual comfort it once provided. He still asks for it at nap time.
Don't get the impression that this was an easy transition -- Ian continued to cry for two hours during each naptime and for more than an hour at bedtime. And he would wake several times a night crying when he couldn't reinsert his binkie and fall back to sleep. He simply couldn't do it without the binkie. If I could have gotten a hold of a new binkie I would have thankfully abandoned our Bye Bye Binkie plan. We even took a trip to the store in hopes of persuading Ian to accept one of the new binkies MAM created. No go.
And the worst part of it all was that Joseph began sleeping through the night the EXACT day that Ian stopped. I cannot describe my dissapointment and desperation at this occurance. Now while Joseph slept peacefully, I listened to Ian scream and pulled my hair out.
On day 8 Ian finally fell asleep at naptime. After silently rejoicing, I spend my few moments of calm and quietude cleaning up around the house. And during this effort I emptied a diaper bag and found The True Last Binkie on Earth -- we had one more the whole time. Had this binkie turned up a day sooner, there would be no post about all of this -- I would have certainly given him the binkie and postponed this fight for another day. But since he was then taking his very first nap, I place the binkie on a high shelf and knew that Ian's days with a binkie were officially over.
18 comments:
I love how you still let Ian take his "bonked down" binkie everywhere with him! That is soooo cute!! And you tried so hard to find him a replacement! I think he'll look back on this story with so much love and awe at what a loving and nurturing mother you are!! You are such a sweetie!
Ohhhhhhh that story broke my heart!! I'm so sorry, Ian!! I hope he's doing better!
Oh, so SAD!
We'll have trauma breaking Malia of her "blankie" some day.
And as raggedy & gray as this blanket is, that day still seems very far off.
I'm thinking she'll choose to abandon it after coming home in tears after being mocked at her first slumber party....
... does that make me a mean Mommy?
You made it! You did it! What a moment that was when you found the real last one! I felt all sorts of sadness for Ian and you reading this. Thank goodness for magical naptime again for you!
What a sad story!! Bu how nice to be done with a binkie. I dread that day but want it to happen soon so we'll see when I decide to actually brave it out. I'm glad he is now sleeping again and Joseph is sleeping through the night for you.
Oh, the irony! I'm glad you survived. You deserve a pedicure.
Phew what an ordeal. That's so funny he would take only one binkie. Hopefully now life will be back to normal!!
All that for a binkie. I don't blame you, Ian. We just gotta have something to soothe us.
Oh, I am soooo dreading that day. Can't they just use them forever? I will be calling you in the future for some empathy.
Wow!! What a trial that was for Ian (and you and the whole family). AHH!! I'm SO glad that he started sleeping without it, though!! I will need lots of help once we decide to wean Weston from the binky, because he is seriously attached to it. He probably has it in his mouth more than out of his mouth during the day. He absolutely loves it. We're in for a trial too, I think!
Oh I am so sorry for all the frustrations, but happy day that he's finally transitioned. Meanwhile, when do we get to see the photos of you without any hair??? :)
Oh I am so sorry for all the frustrations, but happy day that he's finally transitioned. Meanwhile, when do we get to see the photos of you without any hair??? :)
Hey I hope it is going better. What cute kids.
Take Care.
What a sad story!! But how nice to be done with the binkie! He's getting so big! :)
Hey just wanted to say happy birthday!!! :) At least I think today is your bday either way I'm thinkin' about u today. Just wanted to say hello and I love you.
Poor Ian! Hope it all works out. Joshua got pretty attached to a baby doll (we gave it to him not expecting him to get as attached but to introduce the concept of having a sister). Anyway, we tried to replace it with an "army" monkey we bought at build-a-bear. It finally worked, but it took lots of enthusiasm!
Lesley,
Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. It somehow makes me feel good to have someone read my story. Thank you! I know it was super long and not easy to read.
Take care!
Sarah
Post a Comment