Monday, May 10, 2010

Sick of Sick

Ever since I began teaching nursery two months ago, I have been sick every single week. Most of the time I also pass it along to my kids. Nothing too exotic, just run of the mill stomach flu and colds. I totally expected this and I know eventually I will have had it all. But a few weeks ago I began to whine that I was tired of having these constant minor illnesses.

And now it appears that I was taught a lesson about appreciating the relatively good health our family usually enjoys. Here is the chronology of events that I recorded two weeks ago:

Friday night Scott's cough got bad enough that he went to our doctors' walk-in clinic on the way home from work. Turns out he has bronchitis.

Saturday morning my fever got to 104 degrees and I wanted to tear out my throat each time I swallowed, so Scott drove me to the walk-in clinic. After 3 hours of waiting (IE sleeping on the love-seat in the waiting room) I found out I have strep throat.

Monday morning my face broke out in a nasty rash. Surprise! I am allergic to penicillin. My rash gets uglier by the minute (why did it have to be on my face?!) but at least my throat feels so much better. The doctor changed the prescription, so we made our 5th trip to the pharmacy this week.

Wednesday Ian's skinned-elbow (which he got at a really germy indoor playground) got little red bumps all around it. A trip to the pediatrician confirmed what I suspected -- impetigo. Ian got an enormous shot, which they said was like the consistency of peanut butter. Two nurses came in to help hold him down, but he didn't struggle or cry. But he did walk with a stiff leg all afternoon. As we left the pediatrician I texted Scott and joked that Joseph better watch his back because everyone had been stricken with something fancy but him. But I forgot to knock on wood, so...

Thursday morning Joseph showed me an ouchie on his foot -- it was twice as big as the day before and had tiny red lines streaking away from it. Another trip to the pediatrician, and this time the diagnosis was a Staph infection. No shot for him, but he joined the rest of the family in rounds of antibiotics.

It was an insane streak of illness. Now that we are all on antibiotics, we should be impervious to further illness, right? Unless during one of our eleven (literally, eleven) trips to the Kroger pharmacy this week we picked up a virus... but definately one benefit of being sick at the same time and all taking antibiotics was the Scott and I could kiss as much as we wanted without worrying about getting the other sick. Plus, the kids were spared our illness because they were also on antibiotics. Silver lining, right?

Update: We are healthy again! No one shared illnesses (phew!) and we only have a few days left on our antibiotics (we were no longer contagious after 24 hours on antibiotics, but we stayed quarantined for almost a week) We've actually started venturing out of the house and interacting with human beings other than our doctors. Hooray!

We were pretty sleep deprived that week.
The upside is that we spent a lot of time sampling new
popsicles. 
While wearing bedhead. 

10 comments:

Tami said...

I am sorry you all have been so sick :( not fun! Hope you all stay well for a long long time now!

Amelia said...

What a crazy week! I'm glad you guys are feeling better now! It's bad enough having two sick little guys without having mom and dad be sick too.

Lisa said...

How awful!! And I'm guessing that this was all during your birthday, as well?? I'm so sorry for all of the sickness--hopefully you'll all be wonderful sans-antibiotics soon.

When I started working at the BYU Health Center I got sick all of the time. After about 4 months, I very very rarely got sick. You'll just be a sickness superhero :)

Don and Becky Larson said...

We are so sorry you had such a rough time. Glad everyone is feeling better. Love ya!

Jean said...

AHH!! Lesley, what a rough week!! Geez oh man!! I'm SO glad that everyone's feeling better again. That was pretty much the worst timing possible for everything to happen all at once. But you made it!! And now you're stronger!! (PS - That picture of Scott is hilarious. LOL! I love candid shots like that.)

jeff and alli said...

Oh crumby. Sorry. :(

How is nursery going? Jeff & I were in nursery in our last ward, fun and exhausting!

Abbie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Glad you're feeling better, but this stinks bad! And right before your birthday! Bummer. Well, I hope you got spoiled silly so you didn't even remember how sick you were and hopefully you've caught everything those littles are giving so you won't have to worry about getting sick EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY (sorry, that's just rotten).

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Sucks that you were sick during that time. Hope you are all doing better. The joke with nursery is that you miss every other week because you are sick. although, that is not funny.

I just had the same sore throat and the girls are throwing up today. It sucks to be sick and have kids to take care of. The is the hardest thing I've ever done...besides labor and a marathon.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I am amazed at how much Ian and Erica have in common. She is addicted to her pacifier. I still haven't forced her to give it up. We are working on potty training first.

She makes many "hold you" requests.

And, she wants to be a princess when she grows up. I love it.

schester said...

My wife and I had to back out of our calling in primary after being sick every other week. It was taking me out of work too much and keeping me from other church callings. It was worse with her being stuck in bed for half the week recovering.

Best of luck to you!