Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Big Boy

A few weeks ago Ian was moved into a forward-facing, big-boy car seat. I thought he would be permanently happy to travel in the car now that he could see out the windows, but not so. He howels about not being able to adjust the radio station (How old is he? 17?) and is generally less content than in his rear-facing infant seat. Perhaps as it was with his new crib, comfort takes getting used to. And I have to get used to being unable to sneak snacks while driving without escaping his notice. But I do love that I can tilt the rear-view mirror and see him. And if Graco is telling the truth, this is THE LAST car seat we will ever have to buy for Ian.

Here he is on the car seats' maiden voyage.

Then that weekend we decided it was time to give Ian his first haircut! I have loved the little curls forming at the tips of his hair, but it was time to kiss them goodbye in the name of masculinity.

Here is the front of his hair, pre-haircut.

The back of his hair, pre-haircut.

The side of his hair, pre-haircut... mullet-like, isn't it?

How Ian feels about having a mullet.

We began the haircut with Ian and Scott sitting on the toilet seat, and me weilding the scissors. After I was unable to force myself cut Ian's precious hair, we reorganized and Scott held Ian between his legs and cut Ian's hair in the tub. I just winced with each cut, and took pictures. That arrangement worked much better.



This is how Ian feels about his new big-boy haircut. And I agree-- he looks older, and the cut is adorable.

19 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

He is SO ADORABLE! I love his new haircut!! Although the mullet was surprisingly cute, too. :)

Tori said...

Cute haircut! What a cute boy!

Wendi said...

Isn't it amazing how much older that first haircut makes them look? I'm impressed with Scott's haircutting job too. Ian's hair looks great!

Katie said...

I am amazed that you waited so long to cut that hair. I love the bathtub cut idea. We will have to use that next time. Cool carseat! He will love it soon.

Monette and Mark said...

I love it. He looks so grown up. All ready to be a big brother.

Lisa said...

I love that haircut!! Scott did a great job :)

Don and Becky Larson said...

Grandma and Grandpa Larson like it,too.

jeff and alli said...

I'm surprised he doesn't like facing forward as much as expected. I agree that it is nice to look in the mirror and see how the little one is doing.
The pictures and comments for each made me laugh. His hair was long, and the hair cut is very cute.

Brooke said...

I had to take James to Dollar Cuts. He howls when I try to cut his hair... It was a nightmare even at Dollar Cuts! He cried the whole time.

Jean said...

Awww, I love the haircut!! I'm glad you photologged it so well - I think that would be my role of choice too (since it took me two hours to cut Tim's hair once, haha).

Yay for the big boy carseat!! That's a nice one! Tim and I just learned yesterday that Weston can only sit in his infant carseat until he's 22 pounds... which he's rapidly approaching. Then I guess we have to get a convertible carseat, since he'll still need to be rear-facing? Yeah... see? I have no idea what I'm doing. :-P

Headle said...

Ian looks SO CUTE!!! Scott did such a GREAT job on Ian's hair cut! It looks sooo good!

Ian is such an adorable little guy! Seeing his smile just makes me happy!! :D

simple mom/wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
simple mom/wife said...

So handsome! Those are two really big changes. Kuddos to parents and little boy!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Erica says the new haircut is hot!! I was hoping Erica would like the forward facing car seat too, but now I'm worried. Oh well, I think we still have another year before she is big enough to turn around.

Amber Hemsley said...

I love the hair cut!

Sarah H said...

The hair cut is very cute. I still feel sad every time I cut my boys hair, but then it's always cute after, and they do look so much older.
He's an adorable boy!

Amelia said...

Cute haircut! Don't worry, I almost cried last time I cut Noah's hair and it wasn't even his first haircut! They just grow up too fast. We miss you guys!

Unknown said...

What a big boy and I nice job on the haircut. He looks so much older, I can't believe it. We can't wait to get back, less than 2weeks now, see you soon!!

Heather said...

Excellent cut, Scott! If this whole engineering thing doesn't work out for you, I think I see a future for you as a stylist.